Monday, August 13, 2012

1st grade begins!

Today summer ended for my little (or should I say big) 6 year old and first grade began.  Our past week has been filled with the busyness of buying new shoes, making sure uniforms still fit, finishing up a summer book report and trying to figure out if there is anyway to make summer last just a bit longer.  In between all of that we also got to meet Hannah's new teacher and see her classroom in preparation for this big day.


This year the eve of Hannah's first day of school was marked with a little gift to open before bedtime.  Our nighttime routine always involves reading a book before bed and so last night she had a new story to listen to, Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School.  It came with a little inscription to remind her of the first time we read this book together. 



This morning came quite early.  I say that because I am still getting used to the school routine of getting up before everyone to make sure that snacks and lunches are packed, breakfast is made and things are in order ready for the day ahead.  Have I mentioned I love lazy summer mornings and I miss them already?

Everything was set out the night before and ready for Hannah to get dressed and out the door.  Cinnamon rolls were on the breakfast menu by request and so thankfully I put those in the refrigerator to rise yesterday.  This morning all that was left to do was pop them in the oven and make the icing.  I love a good make ahead recipe.




All this was done ahead of time so that we would have time for some before school photos when we were dressed, fed and ready to go.





Thankfully these first three days of school are half days so Hannah is home with me and having a little quiet time with Lily as I am writing this.  I picked her up after school today and listened to her excitedly tell me of new friends, recess and storytime.  We are off to a good start and it sounds like it is going to be a great year.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah's teacher looks very nice.. certainly very pretty! And Hannah looks very excited. We know she will have a fantastic year. Miss seeing you all every day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete